Future Regional Meetings (RMs)
- The 6th Regional Meeting of the Society of Mining Professors will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa, between 19 and 21 March 2018. Click here for the first announcement.
- The 7th Regional Meeting of the Society of Mining Professors will be held in Santiago, Chile, during the week of 23-27 April 2018
- The 8th Regional Meeting of the Society of Mining Professors will be held in Bandung, Indonesia between 24 and 26 July, 2018
- The 9th Regional Meeting of the Society of Mining Professors will be held in Bochum, Germany between 17 and 20 October, 2018
Past Regional Meetings (RMs)
The 1st SOMP Regional Meeting was held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, in 2013 in conjunction with ASEAN 2013 (the 11th International Conference on Mining, Materials and Petroleum Engineering, the 7th International Conference on Earth Resources Technology, ASEAN Forum on Clean Coal Technology). The meeting brochure is available here.
The 2nd SOMP Regional Meeting was held on 19-20 October, 2014, at the Imperial Hotel, Grand Ballroom, 159 Thuy Van, Thang Tam Ward, Vung Tau City, Vietnam. The regional meeting also included a Workshop on Creating Sustainable Partnerships for the Mining Industry, was held Creating Sustainable Partnerships for the Mining Industry: Southeast Asia’s Workshop on Practical Technical, Environmental, Economic and Social Solutions which was developed and conducted by World Federation of Engineering Organizations (WFEO) Task Force on Sustainability and Mining Sponsored by the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME). The SME/WFEO flyer for this event is available here: Creating Sustainable Partnerships Flyer.
The 3rd SOMP Regional Meeting was held between 28 September and 2 October 2015 by the Namibia University of Science and Technology’s Department of Mining and Process Engineering in Windhoek, Namibia. The theme of the conference was "Building Capacity for the Mineral Industry" and featured technical presentations from academics, government and Industry professionals on a wide range of topics. The conference flyer is available here and the conference registration form is available here. Visa information to travellers is available here and here and a presentation on Namibia's tourist areas is available here. Meeting presentations and other material are available for members only, under Documents.
The 4th SOMP Regional Meeting was held between 26 and 28 May, 2016 in the city of Medellin, Colombia by the Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Professor Oscar Jaime Restrepo Baena was in charge of the meeting. The theme of the meeting was “Mining Education in Latin America: Current Status and Future Challenges and Prospects”. The meeting brochure is available here, the report of the meeting is available here, Photographs from the meeting are available here.
- Building on the success of the 1st Society of Mining Professors (SOMP) Regional Meeting held in Chiang Mai, Thailand in 2013, followed by equally successful meetings respectively in Vietnam, Namibia and Colombia, the 5th Society of Mining Professors (SOMP) Regional Meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand during 30th July – 1st August 2016. The Meeting took place at the famous Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. There were two days of meetings with a one day field trip to the local potash project, that is expected to be the next significant mining investment in Thailand. It was an excellent opportunity for participants to meet with mining professors and academic staffs from mining schools in ASIAN/ASEAN and other regions together with members of the Society of Mining Professors (SOMP) who come from various parts of the world. The theme of this year’s regional conference was "Mining for a Sustainable Future – Opportunities for Mining Education and Research in the ASEAN region and beyond". The meeting brochure is available here and the report of the meeting is available here.
Meeting presentations and other material are available for members only, under Documents.